Friday, March 26, 2010

Rollin' Around

I found myself thankful for grabbing Queen and pulling her over when I did as our latest customer walked in. A woman in her 40s, at least, and my height, but with considerable more weight on her. Her curly red hair hangs loosely around her, and nearly every part of her skin was beginning to sag. A particular spot below her neck was raw and chunks of skin were beginning to peel off. Yet, I generally don't pay too much attention to appearances with customers; it was when she opened her mouth that my attention was bought.

From what I was able to gather as Queen talked with the woman, she was looking for an Xbox360 to buy from us, though she didn't have a clue about much of anything she was talking about; we spent a good ten minutes explaining the difference between controllers, wires, hard drives, games, save files, et cetera.

And then the woman browsed through our games. She picked up Sonic the Hedgehog - "This the one where you curl up 'nto a ball, rollin' 'round an' shit." - and she later bought it with the system, along with a few sports and racing games.

I watched Queen ring her up, helping a few customers here and there as the woman talked and checked her phone, which periodically went off every two or so minutes.

"These people need'ta stop sendin' me ass-shots."

Distraction!

The woman continues, explaining how it's part of this "Moe Coe Dot Com", some dating site she's a part of, and people send her pictures of their backsides directly to her phone - and how annoying it was. Despite all the warnings that were going off in the back of my mind, she continued, and I listened.

"Jus' the otha day at work, some guy sends me a message 'bout how he would like'ta climb up on my back. I tell 'em no, of course, I'mma married woman, but he's all like 'I won't tell if you won't tell ;)'.

Queen laughed politely with a hint of laughing at something more, and I laughed along with everyone else, but it was a hollow laugh. The woman spends over $400 at once and leaves after I fumble a bit showing her where the power cord goes, and as she leaves Queen has to hold in even more laughter. I laughed too, of course, but I couldn't help but wonder why.

Yes, I found myself thankful for grabbing Queen when I did. There are certain types of people I'm just not ready to handle yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, sounds like "big Bertha" payed your store a visit last night.

    ReplyDelete